Monday, November 8, 2010

Crazy? I Don't Think So!

Bill and I have been called "crazy", since the very first time we told anyone of our desire to adopt a child in need of a family. Then, you can only imagine how "crazy" everyone thought we were when we decided to adopt again.
We could come up with more reasons NOT to adopt than we could come up with reasons TO adopt. But the reasons not to adopt were all worldly reasons, ie: we are too old, we need to save for retirement, we have enough kids already, we have grandkids and so many more. But the reasons TO adopt, were not worldly but came from God. He placed the desire to adopt in our hearts and set us on the path. We could not deny, even though Bill tried to in the begining, that this is what God wanted us to do with our time and our resources.
"...once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act." (Proverbs 24:12)
So what prompted this post today was a blog I love to read, Ni Hao Y'all, Stephanie has a great post about this very thing today. It is a great read, please if you have time go there and read it.
http://www.nihaoyall.com
Stephanie and Chris from Ni Hao Y'all, have 4 bio kids, 5 kids adopted from China and are currently doing the paperwork for the 6th. All their adopted kids (like ours) are special needs, and to say everyone thinks they are crazy is an understatment!

I absolutely love the selflessness of the adoption community!! They are amazing people who put Gods will first. And for doing that we are all so blessed!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

And then there are those of us who adopt not because we sought it, but because it fell into our laps and we felt like we'd be crazy NOT to take the opportunity! (Oh, and because we felt it was with out a doubt what the Lord wanted us to do). It makes me happy to see those two girls being raised in your family. I don't think I thought you were crazy, but I did think you had a right to be selfish and start looking towards the empty nest stage...look what you would have missed.