That little girl, whom Chinese officials had named Shan Wei Chun, had spent most of those first 18 months of her life in a crib in the Shanwei Children's Welfare Institute. She probably woke up that morning thinking her routine would be pretty much the same. But this day would be different. She had to think something was up when she was taken outside. That had never happened before. And then we can only imagine that the 5-hour drive from Shanwei to Guangzhou was sensory overload!
At some point she was bathed and dressed in a brand-new shirt, shorts and sandals. All of this had done under the watchful eye of a care-giver that she knew, and who had taken care of her for many months, so we assume there was a certain comfort level. But then the time came, and that same care-giver took Shan Wei Chun by the hand and helped her walk into her new life.
As they came through the door, we couldn't control the tears. We knew through experiences too personal and sacred to share on a public blog that Shan Wei Chun was meant to be with our family. Although our decision to adopt had been driven by a desire to make a difference where we could, we did not expect that this little girl would cause as big of a difference in us as we would for her.
Shan Wei Chun now goes by the name Isabelle...or "a-belle" if you ask her. And today we celebrate the one year anniversary of what the adoption community refers to as Isabelle's "Gotcha Day." In that year we have marvelled at the adjustments she's made. And more so at the incredible spirit with which she was endowed by our Heavenly Father.
On a couple of occasions recently Isabelle has made an unsolicited comment; once to her Mommy and another time to "Miss Didi" at school. She said very simply: "I happy." And we pray that she truly is. We know we are.


4 comments:
I can't believe it's been a year already.
I LOVE that picture of her in the red coat! :)
that little angel is just what our family needed. the missing piece to a beautiful and awesome puzzle. i love her so much!
I dont have the words to express how grateful i am to be her big sister. She warms my heart just looking at her sweet face. I am so happy to be apart of her life. She is an amazing little girl. Tell her dalla loves her. Give her a kiss from her Jei Jei.
That sweet blog made me cry!!!!
(tell her sorry about her book, i will send it as soon as it gets here. I am so upset she wasnt able to have it today)
This was one of the most touching stories I have ever read. I began to know you all when about a year ago I was put in YW. I remembered as those who knew you talked about Kaycie and Ravyn who were in SLC at the time and that you were picking up your new little daughter in China. Everyone kept telling me what a wonderful family you were and how excited they were for you. You are truly an amazing family and I'm grateful for being a better person because I know you. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment