Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A tribute to my father...

I have been thinking alot about my father lately. And knowing that my parents follow our adventures through this blog, I want to use this as a public tribute to the man who has set a shining example throughout my life. And I have said on many occasions, not at all jokingly, that the older I get, the smarter my father gets.

But what I want to highlight here is the example my father set through his chosen career. Dad was a police officer with the SLCPD for more than 30 years. I was always SO proud to say the my Dad was one of "Salt Lake City's finest." There are many things our society at-large takes for granted; the protection offorded by law enforcement is one of them. I have kept this brief poem in my desk drawer for several years. I would like to share it with you here. I don't know who to attribute it to, but it's how I always thought of my father while he a police officer.


A Police Officer's Prayer

Lord, I ask You to be with me
In a very special way
As I face the challenges
That I must face each day

Please give me compassion
For the innocent I see
Help me to protect and serve
Those who depend on me

And when duty calls to danger
Walk closely by my side
Instill in me great courage
And be my strength, my guide

And whatever I am called to do
Always thankful I will be
That You have been the unseen guest
Walking next to me

1 comment:

Dallys' daily dose... said...

Your father is pretty amazing. He is one of the nicest people i know.
Your poem was awesome.
Billiam, someday i will write you a poem.
I love you