Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Twenty years ago today...

was one of those days that changes your life forever. On this day in 1988 my four and a half month old son, Damon, died of SIDS. This day is always so hard for me, and it is uncharacteristic of me to even blog about it, but I felt compelled to share a few thoughts. Once I get past the horror of that day a peaceful calm always settles over me. Our family has been blessed over the years by having many spiritual experiences testifying of our Heavenly Father's great plan for all of us, and the magnificence of his love. As I have had to deal with losing a son early, it is comforting to know that
our Heavenly Father had to do the same with his son. There are times when I feel the loss of my sweet son, but at the same time I feel comforted to know one of my children has already passed his test and has attained celestial glory. Damon only needed to be born and receive a body; he is perfect. I am so blessed that I have been promised by prophets and apostles past and present that, if I live worthily, I will be able to raise him. So as I reflect on the events of this day twenty years ago I will try to concentrate on trying to live my life in anticipation of that great reunion and to make sure I am always found worthy to be Damon's Mom.

1 comment:

Dallys' daily dose... said...

you made me cry. I miss him so much. It broke my heart today when i couldn't find his headstone. I dug away at the snow for thirty minutes. When i finally had to leave it was a horrible feeling. I hope he understands why I couldn't leave his flowers and sandpail.

I love you mom. Hang in there.
Love Dallys